Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Catch of the day!

 First I'd like to list a few important contradictory details about myself and fishing:
  • I never ever wanted to marry a fisherman. I am very proud of my dad (a commercial fisherman), but I didn't want the stress of a fisherman's wife...and fisherman are always dirty and stinky, often on parole and talk so dirty. I married a fisherman two years ago. He has at one point or another been all of the cons above, but he is the best husband and friend I could have asked for.
  • The ocean is my biggest fear. I am terrified. I don't like to hang over the ocean, don't want to touch it and I sure as hey don't swim in it. It's also one of my favorite things. I am most comfortable on the coast. I love boat rides when the boat is big enough and I love to learn about it. Aquariums, documentaries, ect.
  • I hate fishing. I always found it boring until I went bass fishing. Bass bite constantly. Which leads to the fourth contradiction.
  • I hate when fish bite. It feels disgusting. The wriggling makes me nauseous. If they aren't biting though I am bored.

  This morning my husband took me out on his 15 ft. sport boat, the Short Bus. Not a boat large enough to feel safe. Aye yi yi. It was extremely calm, but I managed to panic. I was constantly asking him if we were taking on water, too close to rocks, If I could be pulled in by a creature, how far he thought I could swim if we sunk, etc. I even texted my dad a message telling him where I was and to stand on shore with binoculars to watch me and have the Coast Guard on stand by. He pretended he did.
 We were out for an hour or so trying to catch some dinner when it happened. A GIGANTIC lingcod bit! In fact it was so large it had to be released shortly after capture. You know, because it couldn't fit in the boat ;)


Yes I'm crying and laughing at the same time. Don't judge me. I was excited. I had the same reaction when I discovered some places (states away from me) still sell the once discontinued Hostess raspberry filled powder donuts.  So while I like to physically handle my own fish I can't quite handle it emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment