Friday, October 5, 2012

Trying to get fancy with Birchbox

Birchbox is a monthly subscription service for beauty samples. If you haven't heard about it you can check it out here. I'm going to assume you have.
In April of 2011 I was an unfancy, new, trailer wife living in a 5th wheel. I discovered Birchbox on YouTube via MissGlamorazzi. It was lust at first sight. At the time I hadn't heard of any other beauty subscription sites in the US. It was a relatively new service and I was excited! I hadn't tried many higher end beauty products that weren't hand me downs in my whole live long life. My husband wanted to treat me to a years subscription, but I was wary. I decided to try Birchbox one month at a time...
I received my first box in May. It. Was. Awful. I got a tiny bar of soap that smelled like dirty feet in wet rubber boots, a plain matte black eyeshadow pan- no compact, hand cream and a gross old lady perfume. I didn't give up. The amazing things the beauty guru's showed each month in their unboxing videos had to be coming my way. Where were my Laura Mercier and Stila lipglosses or Nars multiples and illuminators? The next month was a bust, and the one after that, and the one after that. Box after box of perfume samples, oils and primers. They never came.
I ended my subscription with Birchbox in February of this year. I continue to watch unboxing videos in hopes that they get better.
I made a list of the 49 items I received while subscribed. My least favorite items include coasters, laundry detergent, four malodorous skincare oils and a piece of cardboard meant to be held on your face while applying mascara because applying mascara is sooo difficult. My favorite items include a perfume sample of Harvey Prince in Flirt, a mini Laura Gellar Spackle in bronze, and an actual Beauty Blender. As you can tell they've been well used.

No comments:

Post a Comment